Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oh 8 turns to Oh 9


I'll tell you what, that five day weekend was not so bad. I got my snow blower back from the shop and it seemed happy that I spent 80 some dollars to fix the carburetor. I suppose it may have given me something more than a smile had I popped for the entire $500+ repair the mechanic recommended. Let's see, the snow thrower is only three years my junior, I think I'll pass.


Abby showed off her skill for language and negotiating on the morning of Dec 26th. We had told her she might be able to go to Grandma and Grandpa Brett's house again if we had time. She knows by now that if we even mention the possibility of doing something that it's a lock. So when Abbers asked Mommy, "Are we going to Gramma and Grammpa's house after breakfast?" she didn't miss a beat when Mommy said, "Maybe...maybe yes, maybe no." Abby smiled and immediately retorted, "Maybe YES!"

As always, she had a great time at Grandma and Grandpa's house and so did Anna and I. It was nice to relax on the third day of our five day weekend. I find that relaxing is really pretty nice, but only in small doses. The relaxing came to a very abrupt end that evening when Johnny K and I got in my truck and headed for the Depot. We had to pick up some supplies for what can only be described as a Friday night for the ages. Installing an above the oven microwave, dishwasher and garage door opener may not seem like fun to some people, ok any people. But, it's nice to help out, and I think Jen and Brian were pleased. We did get dinner and some BS time out of the deal, so call us intellectual carnivores who can handle tools, we don't care. In fact, eat that Homo habilis!

That Sunday would mark the end of Abby's gift opening gala. In all, it had lasted more than a week and covered a good portion of southern Minnesota. On the car ride down to Austin, Abby, and consequently, Mommy, Daddy, Aunt Stephers & Auntie Jen, got to listen to one of Abby's Christmas gifts...a three CD set of children's songs. You're thinking what, 30-40 songs total? Try per disc. The set contains all the classics, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. There was also plenty of crap like Lazy Mary Will You Get Up, terrible song, terrible singing, luckily Abbers hates that one too.


Then out of nowhere comes an instant classic. I'm talking Flyers vs. Penguins in the 2000 conference semis (5 OTs) or Tiger's 2008 US Open dubbaya. I assume the name is Apples and Bananas, but I'm not sure. Whatever, this song was pure gold. The melody hits and all three of the Polzin girls (29, 27 and 25) burst into chorus. Abby and I didn't know what hit us. Abby's reaction and the angelic sounds coming from the three sisters' mouths was a sight to take in. The second go 'round was even better. The Mom and two Aunts continued to wail away and I jumped in with some comedic noises that were, as usual, right on time and on point. Abby's face was priceless and this entire ten minutes or so were for the record books. I was turning around to see Abbers' reactions so much that I don't remember steering or driving the whole time (not much of an issue when you're the best driver in the state, ahem).


It was a very relaxing day at Bonnie and Russ' house. Abby waited patiently for her turn to open gifts and even put on a show for everyone by parading around in her princess dress from Aunt Stacey and Uncle Mark. Anyone think Abby held up her little GerberBic lighter for an Apples and Bananas encore? Umm..mmhmm. I guess you never really outgrow the habit of requesting more of something that entertains you. Millions have been made on that very concept. How else can you explain Billy Madison & Happy Gilmore, National Lampoon's [insert favorite here], CSI's: Miami, Las Vegas, and coming in September 2009, CSI: Pequot Lakes?


Another week shortened due to a holiday, what a great time of year. We celebrated New Year's at Justin and Casey's house, a whopping six minute drive from home. 'Twas a stellar time. Plenty of laughs with friends, games played, which were, of course, won by the guys. El Capitan Morgan made a not so surprising appearance, even if his fishnet leggings were. We rang in the new year with a group of five girls and five guys and four among us were (and still are) pregnant. Things sure have changed here on Walton's Mountain (I'm not old enough to remember that quote, I just like it). Let it be a lesson to everyone, even when it's a short trip, it's best to let your pregnant wife drive home.


Abby spent New Year's Eve with Grandma Barb and Grandpa Fred. They had a party with hats and masks and noisemakers. I know that this tradition will be one that all involved parties will be looking forward to every year. This year Abbers didn't know it, but she was celebrating the new year with everyone in Rio de Janeiro, and she didn't even get carded. Next year she might get to stay up until the little hand and the big hand both point to twelve, at least in Boston.


2009 will be the year of fitness for this family, or better yet, the year in which being fit and healthy becomes our lifestyle. What could be easier? I guess that topic will have to wait it's turn again...

No comments:

Post a Comment